Easy Foodie Kitchen Hack To Make Fried Ice Cream Without Actually Frying It! How Cool Is That? Tastes Just As Good As Your Favorite Mexican Restaurant!
This Fried Ice Cream Recipe has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser.
All awesome Foodie opinions are mine. And you know, I’m so full of ’em!
No Fry – Mexican Fried Ice Cream Recipe
So, we all love that awesome treat at the end of a truly great, authentic Mexican meal known as Fried Ice Cream, right? What if I said I can help you make that right at home AND without even frying it!? Would you be my BFF? My Foodie Friend Forever and Ever? Maybe just come back and visit me again to see what-else is coming out of my Vegas Kitchen? Ok, deal.
When my dad remarried the woman I oh-so lovingly referred to as my step-monster was trying to impress my brother and I. After dinner one night she told us she was making a special treat, Mexican Fried Ice Cream. Being that she was Italian combined with the fact that she said she wasn’t even going to fry it, we had our doubts. We half hoped she’d bomb so we didn’t have a reason to like her and half hoped she could pull it off… because FRIED ICE CREAM! Long story short, she totally pulled it off and I’ve been making it for my kids now for years. It’s a fantastic kitchen hack and saves a whole lot of calories since there’s no deep frying. It’s super easy and quick to make as well. This fried ice cream will soon move to the top of your family’s ‘Mom Pleeeease’ list for dessert! Take a look…
- 5 Cups Corn Flakes
- ½ Cup Butter (not margarine)
- 3 TSP Cinnamon
- 5 TSP Sugar
- Your Favorite Ice Cream (for traditional, use Vanilla)
- Form Ice cream into balls about the size of a small apple (I used a soup ladle to scoop and a spoon to help form the balls)
- Place in freezer on cookie sheet covered with wax paper for 15-20 minutes.
- Pour corn flakes in food processor and crush well. (you can also place in sealed zip-loc baggie and smash with bottom of plastic cup, fun for the kiddies to help!)
- Melt butter in a medium pan over medium heat. Careful not to burn.
- Stir in crushed corn flakes and cinnamon stirring constantly, about 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from heat, let stand for 1 minute and stir sugar into mixture.
- Pour into a shallow dish and allow to cool. (I used my pie pan)
- Place frozen ice cream balls one at a time into mixture and roll around to evenly coat.
- Place back in freezer for just about 10 minutes to re-harden.
- Top with a nice drizzle of chocolate syrup, whipped topping and of course cherries.
See! How easy is that? For the authentic Mexican Fried Ice Cream experience, I used Va-Va Vanilla flavored DREYER’s GRAND Ice Cream. It was perfect! They have some really awesome flavors out right now for summer that you could totally swap though. They have a coupon for $1 off 1 DREYER’s Branded Product 32 –48 oz. Click HERE to grab that and try this at home. Also be sure to check them out on Facebook I find some great ideas over there. If you pop over to Pinterest you can find some yummy recipes like mine too.
My kids say it’s a dead ringer for Chi-Chi’s Mexican Fried Ice Cream. I don’t have their secret recipe, so I can’t technically call this a ‘copycat’, but I’ll take what compliments I can get from the peanut gallery over here!
Ready to try it for yourself?
If you liked this No Fry Fried Ice Cream post,
and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list here.
Are you a social kinda person? Follow Sassy Girlz on Facebook or Twitter
For all the pretty pictures, follow me on Pinterest and Instagram